- To enhance compliance with standards and other market access requirements so as to ensure conformity to quality and quantity standards required by the markets
- To review the existing agricultural regulatory framework in line with the Constitution of Kenya, developments in the sector and international best practice
- To develop and harmonize sectin collaboration with Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS )will harmonize the national crops standards with the regional and international one
- To review and develop product standards and codes of practice in collaboration with Kenya Bureau of Standards ( KEBS)
- To ensure registration and licensing of industry players
- To promote self-regulation in line with relevant regulations.
Licenses issued by the Department
An export license is issued to clients willing to export high quality horticultural produce destined to various markets.Prior to the application, the applicant is expected to have established a market and contacts of the importer he/she intends to engage with.
Marketing agents act as middlemen between growers of horticultural produce and buyers of horticultural produce. They sell to exporters as well as supply supermarkets, hotels and groceries. Engagements with any horticultural growers should be through contract farming. The registration of these agents is anchored on the Crops Act 2013, para 61(1) and (11). This is to ensure produce traceability and conformity to quality standards.
These are dealers in horticultural produce supplying fresh horticultural produce to ships anchored at deep sea. They are registered to ensure produce traceability and conformity to standards.
4.HORTICULTURAL NURSERY OPERATORS
These engage in raising vegetative planting materials and also seedlings for commercial purposes.
They deal in the trade of horticultural produce sourced from out of the country.
6.CLEARING AND FORWARDING AGENTS
Clearing and forwarding agents are engaged in the documentation of all horticultural products destined for the export market.
|4||Horticultural Nursery Operators||Requirements|
|6||Clearing and Forwarding Agents||Requirements|